Believe it or not, I don’t just eat cakes and brownies and cookies all day long every day. I’m a pretty healthy eater and like eating nourishing foods and being active. I just feel better, you know? One way that makes it much easier to be and feel good about what you’re eating is to have delicious snacks around so you won’t be tempted by those very tasty treats that you’ve been baking.
I noticed these savory roasted almonds on the blog eat make read the other day and knew I needed to try them. Delicious spices, healthy nuts (in a portion controlled fashion), egg whites as a binder? Count me in! The egg white, which seems weird, allows the spices to coat the nuts and the sugar, which also seems a little weird, helps for that tasty crunchy coating. These are a real cinch to make too, especially when you use a food processor. I decided to use rosemary as my main spice, and also used a mix of almonds, cashews and pecans for my nuts. I cut out the cheese because I just didn’t think they needed it, and I was right. These are simple and tasty, and I’ve been snacking on them all week.
P.S. I may also have been picking out the pecans first cause, whoa, are those gooood.
Rosemary Spiced Mixed Nuts
adapted from eat make read
- 2 cups mixed nuts
- 1 extra large egg white
- 1/3 cup fress rosemary, chopped
- 1/2 Tbsp chili powder
- 1 1/2 Tbsp sugar
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Preheat oven to 275°F and line a baking sheet with foil, parchment paper or a silpat.
- Put rosemary, chili powder, suagr, and pepper in a food processor and whiz it a couple of times to grind everything together. You could also do this with a mortar and pestle or the back of a spoon, but hey, I’m lazy.
- Whisk the egg white in a large-ish bowl until frothy, about 2 minutes.
- Add the nuts to the egg whites and fold over to coat.
- Add the spice mixture to the nut mixture and mix until evenly coated.
- Spread nuts on the baking sheet in a single layer and sprinkle with salt.
- Bake for 25 minutes and allow to cool before serving.